Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Joe Lies

I just watched St Elmo's Fire for the 8,098th time (on WE, thank you very much), and the "brat packers" (who were 37 in 1985) are supposed to be 21-22 in that movie, but they act like they're older than I am now.

Like in the scene where Ally Sheedy takes the day off from work to go get her albums from Judd Nelson's (Judd Nelson, right?) apartment after she sleeps with Andrew McCarthy (another stellar performance by Mr. McCarthy, by the way), she's wearing a floor-length skirt and the ever-present I'm-so-preppy-I-wear my-pearls-even-while-fucking-Andrew-McCarthy necklace. To pick up her albums. In a skirt and pearls. And one of the albums she takes? Mahler. Because 22-year-olds are so fond of Mahler. If they were real people I'd have to kill them. You're 22. Go audition for the Real World.

Top Five Best High School Movies:
(Old School)

5. Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (Tie)
Valley Girl (Tie)
4. Sixteen Candles
3. Heathers
2. Say Anything
1. Can't Buy Me Love

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great point, Kate...great point. It makes me laugh to think that Ian Zerring (if that's how you spell it) was like 30 when he played Steve on Beverly Hills 90210. And can we talk about the movie Grease for one second? Rizzo looks like she's already had three kids, let along MIGHT be pregnant with a T-Bird lovechild. Anyhoo...great blog.
- Chris

Anonymous said...

You have the top 6 movies, dummy. If you have a tie, that still counts as two.
Suburban Mom

Anonymous said...

Plus, Valley Girl is so much better than Heathers!

Kate said...

Dear Suburban Mom:

Actually, it's the top 7 movies, and I can do whatever I want.

Don't mess with NYC!