Thursday, June 16, 2005

Let's Get Physical

In a fit of brilliance, I decided that instead of going to the gym the other day I would run up and down the stairs in my building for exercise, which lasted about three minutes until I was dizzy and nauseated and my left arm was numb.

On top of that, I woke up yesterday with a torn ACL in my calf and I now I can’t go up or down stairs at all. Okay, it may not be a torn ACL, because A) I don’t really know what an ACL is, and B) I don’t think they are in your calf, but it sounds cooler than saying I pulled a calf muscle. Especially since I pulled it going up and down stairs. Instead I’m going to say I hurt it hiking up Tuckerman’s Notch (or whatever it is). I probably need Dr. Morgan to staple the muscle to my tibia so I can make it in to work tomorrow, because it’s Game 6 and the Yankees are up 3 games to 2… wait that isn’t me. But the crawl is always hungry.

***
I get chest pains just thinking about hiking. First of all, “hiking” is a misnomer. “Hiking” sounds like, “we’re just walking along, enjoying nature and the birds and the squirrels.” When, in fact, “hiking” is “climbing a big fucking mountain.” Secondly, if I wanted to be Jon Krakauer I would start by leaving my apartment once in while, or maybe I would order Vietnamese food for dinner instead of Thai. I don’t need to be tricked into climbing Mt. Everest to prove my manhood.

Speaking of proving one’s manhood, two days in a row I went for a walk along the river, and two days in a row there were men in speedos hanging out in Riverside Park. In case there was any confusion, Riverside Park is not South Beach!! Keep ‘em covered up. Thank you.

No comments: