Thursday, March 17, 2005

I Heart TV


Channel 624 rocks my world Posted by Hello

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

This may be the happiest day of my life. I just found out I have A&E, HGTV and Food Network… ON DEMAND. Throw in TLC and the History Channel and I would never leave my apartment. This started out on a sad note. Usually at this time of night (from 12 am to 1 am) I’m watching Cheers on TVLand, but tonight there is some dumb awards show on, and I was going to complain about it. Instead, I found out I can watch Design on a Dime ANY TIME I WANT. This should be a lesson to myself to stop being negative all the time, and try to look on the bright side, etc, but I don’t think I could do that. It would render me impotent, like A-Rod without his purple lipstick.

Speaking of Cheers, I’d like to nominate it as the best TV show ever. A few years back the Sports Guy* did a comparison between Cheers and Seinfeld, and Seinfeld just barely edged out Cheers and I can respect that. Seinfeld is a good show. But Seinfeld is on TBS every five minutes and I’m sick of it, whereas I could watch Cheers 24 hours a day. How could I not like a show that incorporates all the most important elements of my life? Here are just some of the ways in which my life is exactly like Cheers:

It takes place in Boston; I lived there for 8 years
It takes place in a bar; Most of my life also takes place in a bar
Diane Chambers went to BU; I went to BU
Carla is a short, mean waitress; I was a short, mean waitress
Norm hangs out at the Hungry Heifer; I worked at the Stockyard
Sam is a recovering alcoholic; I am a … nevermind
Sam played for the Red Sox; My boyfriend Johnny Damon plays for the Red Sox
Rebecca went to UConn; My friend Jen went to UConn
Lilith carried a dead rat in her purse; I had a dead mouse in my apartment
Cliff was on Jeopardy; I kick ass in Jeopardy

I mean, I could go on forever…

Long live Cheers!

PS: For those of you (Allison and Brigid) who never believed me when I said there were two Garys (of Gary’s Olde Towne Tavern), well, I was right. Robert Desiderio and Joel Polis. Ha.

While I’m in this happy cable TV moment, I would like to take a second, and I’m sure this won’t be the last time I mention this, to thank channel 624, the 70s channel, for being awesome. Thank you Dan Fogelberg, Bay City Rollers, Jim Croce and Bread. I love you!

*You can read the Sports Guy column for a mere 40 bucks if you join ESPN Insider!

No comments: